Saturday, February 19, 2011

Oxford on the way to Charney Manor - 2/14

From London, I took the train to Oxford, on the way to a retreat I signed up for at a place called Charney Manor. I had a little time in between when my train arrived from Paddington, and when I had to catch the 66 bus to Southmoor (where someone was going to pick me up).

Thinking getting a postcard of Oxford would be a good idea, since I would need a postcard anyway - and thinking that I might find a map of the center of town in the same place - I went to a little shop at the train station. One postcard in particular caught my attention: it said 'Oxford Botanic Garden.' That sounded like someplace that I wanted to see.


The nice woman behind the counter was kind enough to tell me what she could (it was near 'Magdalen Bridge' and there was a bus line that went by there), and let me take a look at a map without buying it. I had a plan, and I figured, enough time. I set off, with my big backpack on my back, and my rolling suitcase in tow...

Someone did tell me what bus I could take, and in the end, opted for that, as it would save quite a bit of time. The bus driver told me what stop to depart the bus, and it was an easy walk from there. The gardens were just lovely.















Spring was arriving there already...


















And the ducks came over for a chat.








Ahhh.... What a lovely way to bide my time.









Then I caught the bus, and got my ride, and arrived at Charney Manor in the late afternoon. The light was breaking through some clouds, and was really something magical. What a great day. (What a nice place to end up, with a cup of tea and friendly conversation waiting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment