Thursday, February 10, 2011

And....she's off!

Here I go... !

This morning I awoke to the first dusting of snow in Virginia (where I've been staying with family) that I've seen since arriving in early January. Pretty exciting... as I prepare myself to travel to the lands of winter rains. It has felt a bit surreal to finally be leaving, after preparing for so long.


I stayed up late to finish packing, and got up early, to run over and say goodbye to folks. The snow melted quickly...but left an invigorating nip in the sun-streamed air. I was ready.

On the way to the airport (flying out of Washington, DC, so we drove up from Richmond, VA) what was striking were the number of things strewn in the road. I'd never seen so many in one trip! First, there were the bits of rubber that usually mean someone's tire has blown out on the highway. Then, we saw some bits of wood - wood that looked like it had been broken, with some ragged edges, and the possible occasional nail (yikes!). Then, all of a sudden, there looked to be someone's vacation wardrobe tossed all over the highway (quite an obstacle course, that - good safe driving steering us through, Dad!). We saw someone pulled over with a large load of luggage on their car a short distance further on... And, finally, just before our exit (a good thing! I was getting a little concerned) we were passing a big truck that made a bang/bump sound, and expelled more than a little grey dust of some kind...and there was a burned rubber smell. Whew.

So, I was very happy when we made it to lunch, and then the airport, without any mishap of our own! I said my goodbyes, and wrote my first postcard(!) of 365 (see postcard gallery), and boarded the plane... aaahh.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment