Thursday, February 17, 2011

Feb.13th, 2011 - International Inner Puppy Day (5th)

Five years ago (February 13th, 2006), I met up with my friend Anthony McCann in Sheffield, England, where he was working at a University. He was a lecturer there, and was not happy with the way that people in his kind of post were being treated. It was a very discouraging situation. He had also recently had his heart broken, and the approach of Valentine's Day was not a happy prospect. I, too, was recovering from a difficult time - and so we very quickly decided to pronounce the 13th of February "International Inner Puppy Day." Why not? (Why 'Inner Puppy's? I will tell you... but first, a bit about Anthony).

Anthony is a scholar, songwriter, watcher and interpreter of good popular tv shows, lifetime student of the paranormal, social theorist, and all-around encourager of gentleness in the way we live and treat one another. In fact, he is making this last bit his life's work now (see Crafting Gentleness). He hails from Northern Ireland, and has been teaching at the University in Derry. When at his best (which is most of the time), he is always quick with a smile, a quip, an encouraging word (or 20), and full of enthusiasm and creative energy - especially for do-gooding (and some silliness). He has been a friend for some time, from the days where we played music amidst the musical community that gathered in the living room at my old house in Takoma Park. It was a gathering of great talent, generosity, and kindness.

Inner puppies? Well, a few years before the occasion of the first International Inner Puppy Day, I was telling Anthony about a dream I had. In my dream I had a puppy, and somehow had left it in the car when I went about some other things, and woke with a start when I realized that I had forgotten to feed it! I felt terrible, as I woke up. After my retelling, Anthony promptly said - "I know what that dream means, Katy!" I said "what?" He told me I needed to feed my inner puppy. He was right. I had let myself get too stressed out (preparing for grad school, dealing with my Mom, who was starting to have difficulty), and wasn't doing enough to recharge the playful, lovable, happy-go-lucky part(s) of who I am.

It became a kind of way to check in with each other as friends: Are you feeding your inner puppy? How's your inner puppy doing? So on that bleak day in Sheffield, we needed to do something big - and in the typical fashion of Anthony McCann, something encompassing a wider range of people than just ourselves. International Inner Puppy Day is intended for everyone who doesn't have a sweetheart for Valentine's Day; but also, more importantly, an occasion to remember and enjoy all of the friends and fun we all do have in our lives. A holiday for all.

This year, we had arranged to both be in London, to celebrate the holiday together once again. The first time since its founding. He is the one with a new sweetheart (mentioned in the previous post), this year in time for Valentine's Day...but I can't hold it against him! She seems to be doing a good job of helping him feed his inner puppy, from what I can tell. :-) And seeing him, and meeting her, has indeed fed mine.

So when going forth and being creative, everyone - remember to feed your inner puppy while you're at it! And next year,

on February 13th, when the world seems drear and gray,
and spring's bright cheerfulness so far away -
remember to celebrate International Inner Puppy Day!

1 comment:

  1. I almost (but didn't) forget to mark the day with a slice of bacon.

    ReplyDelete