Thursday, March 10, 2011

Coventry and environs! (2/16-2/24)

After leaving Charney Manor, I took the train to Coventry, where I was met by my brother Adam, and we dropped off my luggage, and went to a local eatery/pub where we 'tucked in' and had a beer. He was not having the best of days, unfortunately (re-organization at the university where he works, uncertainty about the future), but it was great to see him, and in the end, it seemed I'd arrived at a good time.

Coventry is a funny mix of old and new - charming medieval buildings (and extensive history) juxtaposed with modern (not so built-to-last or aesthetically pleasing). So many parts of the city are not so pretty to look at - but what I love about Coventry (aside from the fabulous people who live there - people in my family - and yes, I am a little biased! :) is that there is so much history, so much to discover. The sense you get of how impressive the town has been…(and maybe could be again?).










The name, if I remember correctly, comes from the fact that it was originally a meeting place in the countryside, where people would gather, by a big tree. A church (and later a cathedral?) was eventually built there - and one can see the foundation of one of the churches to follow, and the story of Coventry's beginning, in a park in town.

Being in the middle of England, it is where a lot of old (and current) roads and transports intersect, which helped it to grow in size and importance. It has been known for many industries over time (especially automotive and bicycles), and had some massive cathedrals. The smallest of which, St. Michael's church (still impressive in size), famously blazed after Coventry was bombed in WWII (after Dresden). The next day, when going to survey the damage, the priest found two timbers in the rubble, in the definitive shape of a cross. He found this to be a sign from God - that bombing Dresden had gone too far, that a different way must be found.









Coventry was the first town in England to welcome German students after the war - and as a testimony to the destruction of war, and what that sign meant to Coventry, the old Cathedral was left a ruin. The new Cathedral was built right next to it, and is a place dedicated to reconciliation. It houses a Center for Peace and Reconciliation, and many important pieces and objects within it were donated as symbols of solidarity in peace and reconciliation efforts, from different countries, and representing different faith traditions.

What really struck me on this visit was how many different types of industry Coventry has had and been known for - and that they have, pretty much, all left. How hard-working, skilled, and down to earth its people are, and have been - over centuries. (And the sadness of that talent and industry going to waste). It is really an impressive history. In such a small, and unassuming town.

I have benefitted from the fact that between my brother and my sister-in-law, they know almost everybody in their neighborhood. Having children in the school there, and knowing a lot of other parents, they have managed to become a part of the fabric of their part of the city. I felt like I got wrapped up in it while I was there. And the comforting (and often hilarious! we laughed a lot) fabric of our own family, too.


Before I finish talking about Coventry, I just have to say a little bit about how great it was to see my nieces and nephew there, too. I had so much fun spending time with them - they are the coolest people(!).


We went to Birmingham, Stratford-Upon-Avon (the butterfly farm and Shakespeare's Birthplace), and to Museums and attractions in Coventry, too. They were good guides, and knew so much! We had fun laughing, and learning some things, too. Thank you Claire, Jessie, and Eddie!

It was bittersweet to leave… so great to be there, and be wrapped in that warmth of family (although the weather was not so comforting :), and sad to have to go... but ready to head to France, to reconnect with the part of my heart that I found when I was a student there so many years ago.

Adieu, Coventry, and my dear family there - may all your dreams come true …
Bonjour Paris, where my old host family (and all those good old memories) await!

(Apologies all - I am at the WWOOF farm now in France, without internet access, so the update time is more lapsed than usual..!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the Norton/sidecar combo elicited a shutter click even from a non-gearhead such as you, Katy :-) R.I.P. Fat Lady. I'll never forget how you and your partner in culinary crime terrified that troop of English Cub Scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may not be a gearhead, but I do have an appreciation of the finer sidecars in life. :-) (There are actually more photos than what made it onto the blog!...)

    ReplyDelete