Saturday, March 26, 2011

Paris! 2/24 - 2/28

The first time I arrived in Paris by myself was also a challenge, when I was a college student, and in lieu of the expected meeting up with other people from my program, I had to use the French I knew to navigate the transport system, and find my way to my hotel (which had changed, since I didn't make it in time to keep my previous reservation!). After making my way through all that (and learning in the process that people really cared more about understanding you, than whether or not your grammar was perfect), I felt like I could do anything.

Well, many years later (I won't say how many!), it was a special treat to be met at the end of the journey from the airport by such welcoming and familiar faces, my former host parents from so long ago. I was touched by their generosity and welcoming spirit, even though it has been so long since the last time I've seen them, and I haven't been as good at keeping in touch as I'd like to have been. The time at the apartment with them, and visiting their daughter, Dominique (and her kids), was spent talking, and watching tv programs on history and archaeology, news, and indigenous cultures around the world. They told me of their travels in the States, and to the little town of Monpazier, where I was headed to do a volunteer work camp one summer (one of the last times I saw them).

I took most of my meals with them, and spent several of the afternoons off exploring and wandering in the City. This time, in lieu of the old haunts, closer to the Gare de l'Est, the Île de la Cité and the Seine - the 'Quartier Latin' - I was situated near the Champs de Mars and the Eiffel Tower. My wandering took me by Les Invalides, and by the Musées Branly and d'Orsay. Along the park next to the Seine in between, and among the little streets behind. Also around the Tour Montparnasse, and up through the length of the Jardins de Luxembourg.

When I did make it to the Student, or Latin, Quarter - I got a crêpe from the little corner bistro, and was welcomed by the sounds of a brass band playing in the Place St. Michel (eventually will have a video here!). The man who made me the crêpe said (aptly!), smiling happily, motioning toward the music and bopping along - "Nous avons de l'ambience aujourd'hui, eh?!" (We've got a good ambience/atmosphere today [because of the music], don't we?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment