Saturday, June 26, 2010

¡Hemos llegado!

I've arrived safely in Costa Rica with my friend Ann, after a long but smooth day of traveling!

As I was flying into Dallas (the connecting airport where we met up), there were big thunder head clouds that were like piles of crisply defined light - as big as mountains - that I found I had a hard time looking at in one place for more than a second or two. My eyes got crossed and pained if I tried. But I couldn't look away! I don't know if the sun was reflecting so strongly off of them or what, but the thought occurred to me that it was the opposite of the ominous part of the cloud below - a beauty so intense that maybe we were not made to or meant to see it, at least not for very long. There is a poem in that, that I have begun to write...

Once arrived at the airport, we were asked to use only the official taxi service (the others are illegal), and found our hotel van driver. As it happened, there were other travelers that were being picked up, and we had a very amiable trip back to the Guesthouse/Backpackers Hostel, learning about where everyone was from, and what we were planning to be doing here. We met Christie from Holland, Clémence from France, and later Patricia from Switzerland. After settling in to our room and settling the bill, we went over to the hostel and found a nice spot by the quieter bar to visit and have a drink (and black bean nachos). Samantha, our friendly and knowledgeable bartender, graciously prepared us to be more savvy travelers (tips on tipping! and exchange rate).

The Costa Rica Guesthouse and Backpackers Hostel are across from each other on a relatively quiet street near the central part of San Jose. The hostel has a very nice pool and tropical gardens, and there is a very busy bar connected where it was 'Reggae Night'. The music was good, the place was hopping! - but being weary travelers and it being very hot inside, we opted for the quieter place with friendly people where we could sit and chat, and chill out, and enjoy the conversation.

I was trying to capture the SOUNDS of this place, early this morning, as I got up and got some coffee (very good!) and had a few moments to myself. So far, I have been unsuccessful... but I have heard at least 4 different birds that I have never heard before (or at least, don't remember from my first trip here). I feel certain I will have another chance to capture those sounds, and I will share them when I do.






Ah... beautiful. :-) J'arrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment