Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Costa Rica here I come!


So, I have my shots, my travelers insurance (including the most enjoyable Terms of Use I've ever had the pleasure of reading), Spanish phrasebook, mosquito netting, and I'm starting to get really excited! I leave in 2 days.

(If, like me, you are a nerd when it comes to maps, you can follow my progress on a map here.)

First stop (after overnight in San Jose) is my friend's wedding in Puntarenas at an all-inclusive hotel. This will be an interesting experience for me, as it is not the way I usually travel(!). It will be fun and relaxing, and my roommate for that part is also interested in seeing what kinds of fun activities we might find to do. On the agenda is a group outing to a protected island where turtles live. We will likely go snorkeling there.

Next will be a visit to an experiential learning organization in San Ramon (Earth Education International), where I plan to connect with a colleague who has been active in promoting sustainability in the field of study abroad, and learn what I can about what is happening there and hopefully be of some use. I hear that San Ramon is known for coffee, so I hope to learn something about that, too, while I'm there! (And don't be surprised if my posts gain speed and intensity afterwards...)

The third major portion of my trip will be volunteering at a site near the Tenorio Volcano National Park. I learned that I will be one of only 2 volunteers at my site (Las Heliconias, mentioned here) through the organization that did my placement (i-to-i). It looks like I may have more of an opportunity to practice my Spanish than I had anticipated! In looking at guidebooks and online, I have gleaned that Tenorio Volcano National Park is northwest of Lake Arenal (and the Volcano), and Monteverde. It is a relatively recent addition to the National Parks, and therefore not yet as frequented by tourists (and a little more remote). I'll be staying in a community that banded together to fight deforestation (successfully).

In the area I'll be going to, there are apparently mud pots and thermal rivers, and one in particular (Río Celeste) that has a unique teal color, and a spectacular waterfall. The area is known for cheese-making. It is the beginning of the rainy season, so I am likely to be out in the rain a lot, or at least damp. They recommend bringing rain boots. And I'm not sure how much I'll be able to access email while I'm at this site (for two weeks). But, aside from posting here on my blog... I must confess to looking forward to focusing on the world around me that is actual, and not just 'virtual'. I am ready for a truly adventurous journey, that will incorporate all of me - body and senses, intellect, and heart and soul, as well.

I am looking forward to all of the sights, sounds, tastes, insights, connections, challenges, inspiration, and seeds planted in me that I will encounter. And sharing them with all of you who are reading! (Please feel free to comment...and ask questions!).

1 comment:

  1. Good morning, Katy. Looks like you are off to a fantastic start. The corn stalks in your garden are tiny, like little miniature blades of grass trying to look like corn. Great picture of you with your backpack on! Hasta lluego, el legarto! -Dad

    ReplyDelete