Monday, July 5, 2010

Catching up....! Part 1: 6/30/10....

Hello everyone reading this (whoever you are!...?). I have not been so good about posting in a timely manner....but a lot has been going on! So, in an attempt to remedy that, I will try to catch you all up, and then maybe go back and 'people' my words with good images later. There is so much to describe, so much I've seen, and done... it is a little hard to know where to begin.

So, I'll start chronologically... but there is some musing and cultural thoughts and insights that will want to find their way in here somewhere, too.

Tuesday (6/30) I went on a zipline 'canopy tour' with some of the people in my group (from the wedding). This is now a pretty popular kind of tour in Costa Rica, I've learned, and I have to say - it was pretty fun (and in our case, a little more exciting than you might hope for!). We began on horseback, then ziplined down above the river, and got to stop for a swim at one of the (many) waterfalls along the way. For me, especially - having facilitated adventure-based learning programs and rock-climbing, and ridden on horses when I was younger - it was great to have the opportunity to do something like that in such a beautiful, lush place - and to talk to the people facilitating it here. They were very friendly, and professional, and it was nice to have that human/cultural connection.

On the way to the top of the zipline course, we rode on horseback. We made it to the top of the ridge, and had a wonderful view all around. Donald, the guide that took up the rear, told me that the mountains were called 'Montes de Oro' - because there was gold in them, and a mine, but not in this area, a little ways away. It used to be that anyone could go in the mountains and look for (and possibly find) gold, but now it's all regulated. We passed the oldest horse, now out to pasture, and saw the working dogs come up, that help out with the horses. My horse's name was 'Blanco'. Blanco liked to zigzag on the steep downhills, and trot when it got too slow on the even parts. At the end of the riding, the horses just turned around, and started walking back (with the dogs). I was glad that I had taken the opportunity to chat with Donald on the way.

One of the best parts about the zipline down was watching my friends' 8-year old twin girls (who had been afraid to do other things we'd done around the water the day before) step right up and show the rest of us how it was done! Rose, one of the two, just went right up and got hooked in - first! And zip!... off she went. Others (adults) were a little scared, but after that happened, felt that they had no excuse not to do it!

The thing that was the scariest, however, came later. We were stopped at one point, waiting for all of the facilitators to show up, and the (usual) afternoon rain began, just a little at first. Then, it became a truly heavy rain... and then, a thunderstorm. The facilitators were trying to get us out as quickly as possible, but it was a different kind of experience in the rain (the gloves that you use to 'break' were not behaving the same when wet, and we were heavier with soaked clothes, etc.). It added an element of real adventure, to be zipping through the rain, and over the river, now swollen a muddy red, and gushing even faster. We had six ziplines left when the rain started - and I just about got the hang of it (after having to be pulled in on one) when I flew down the last one.

Then I waited. My friend Ann was supposed to be right behind me. And I waited. Thankfully, I was able to wait inside a van...but it was a while before we knew what was going on. Then, one of the people from the tour came over and talked in Spanish with my van driver, Miguel. Miguel, who spoke only a little English, was motioning with his hands - and one of them looked like it was describing something dropping vertically - my heart skipped a beat - but then he looked like everything was okay... so I asked - 'mi amiga - está bien?' Oh, yes, okay, was the answer...but still, that didn't look good!...

She eventually came down off the zipline, and came over, but was visibly shaken up. She told me the story, and her heart was beating very, very fast. Lightning had struck the zipline cable, as she was getting hooked in for the run. She had been shocked through her gloves, and the guide helping her, too. He said that he'd been working there a year, and had never experienced anything like that. We were all relieved that she was okay, and I decided that as much fun as the day was overall - that was the most excitement (of that kind) that I wanted on this trip!

(For anyone doing something like this in Costa Rica - especially, but anywhere, really! - I would recommend that you NOT do it in a thunderstorm(!), and that you take the opportunity to talk to the people facilitating it, too. They are likely to be friendly, appreciate your interest, and can add a lot to the experience, in terms of a sense of place, and a human/cultural connection. I will always remember those guys, and that place, with gratitude.)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Katy...hope the trip is still going well.....I miss being there! :) This comment is to attest that your blog is being read! Ann

    ReplyDelete